Friday, August 24, 2012

DIY Bookshelves

A few posts ago, I was talking about a DIY project I was working on for Little B's room. Well, I finally finished it! Actually, I installed the shelves about a month ago and am just posting this late. 

Here's what they looked like before I fixed them up:


And here's what they look like now:


I had to give them a second (or was that a third?) coating of white spray paint then I ran over it with sandpaper to give it a bit of a distressed look. 

One night, I screwed the l-bars onto the shelves by hand. It took me a few more days to quit procrastinating and install them in Little B's room. But first I had to make sure the shelves were installed evenly. So I took a piece of string, tied something to the end, and taped it to the wall. Using the string, I was able to line up the shelves. I also had to use a leveler (?) to ensure the shelves were, well, leveled. J had to teach me how to use the electric drill so I could screw the l-bars onto the walls. Thank goodness the wall I decided to put the shelves on was made of wood! I don't know if I could have done it on my own on a concrete wall. 



I'm pretty proud of myself for doing it mostly on my own, and I hope Little B will like it when she's old enough to appreciate it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment